Conference for Central-European Common Heritage
-Cultural Development Possibilities in the historical cities, built in the 19 th century-
11-13 April, 2014
The international Conference for Central-European Common Heritage - Cultural Development Possibilities in the historical cities, built in the 19th century - will be organized between 11-13 April, 2014, by the KultUnio Foundation with the support of Visegrad Fund. In addition to the professional program the tourism and cultural supply of Budapest will be presented, within the framework of sightseeing tours, along with the accompanying event of a Cultural Fair organized in the heart of the city.
Central topic and aim of the conference
In several European countries, mainly in the Visegrad Four (CZ, PL, SK, H) the historical towns - developed in the 19th century - face the similar city-development problems. During that period tenement houses, trading quarters, banks, financial institutions, restaurants, market halls, cafes, public transportation network were developed. Recently most of the heritage buildings lost their original function, became empty, got damaged or ruined. It is hard for city-leaders to fill them with life and economic activity taking into account the heritage protection point of view. Therefore an important question is how to use these buildings of the downtown areas in an economically sustainable way, and how to leverage their value successfully along with the preservation.
The event will provide an opportunity for experts from the 4 Visegrad countries and for other international professionals to present benchmarks and to share relevant experience about challenges in city development. By the conference we would like to offer help to civil organizations, municipalities, and for-profit organizations (e.g. tourism suppliers) to find the best solutions relating to the utilization of heritage buildings, empty shop areas, public squares. We aim to provide a wide range of possibilities for the mentioned three sectors to collect information about trends and build relevant international relationships, resulting boosting economic activity and cultural life in downtown areas.
Our aim is to build a tradition, providing an opportunity for stakeholders to discuss relevant issues concerning the topic in the frame of a yearly organized conference.
Based on the topic of the conference the following professional groups are invited to the event:
- Institutions of municipalities working on the concerned field, such as city development, heritage management, supervision of public premises, etc.
- Professional organizations (cultural, tourism, trading)
- Civil organizations
- Higher education (researchers, students)
- Service providers
- Plenary talks (four plenary talks in total)
- The parallel sessions will provide a choice of presentations for the participants in three blocks based on the following 3 sectors (27 presentations in total):
11 April, 2014
14:00-14:45 Opening speeches
14:45-15:30 Plenary Talk I
15:30-16:15 Plenary Talk II.
16:15-16:45 Coffee Break
16:45-17:00 Setting up of parallel sessions
17:00-18:00 Parallel sessions - 2 units (25-25 min.)
18:00-20:00 Free time, accommodation check in
20:00-21:30 Cruising on the River Danube with live music
12 April, 2014
9:00-9:45 Plenary Talk III .
9:45-10:30 Plenary Talk IV .
10:30-11:00 Coffee Break
11.00-12.30 Parallel sessions - 3 units (25-25 min.)
12:30-14:00 Lunch - Lunch & Cruise (River Danube)
14:00-15:00 Parallel sessions - 2 units (25-25 min.)
15:00-15:30 Coffee Break
17.30-16.30 Parallel sessions - 2 units (25-25 min.)
16:30-17:00 Closing Plenary Talk
17:00-19:00 Free time
19:00-20:30 Guided walking tour
13 April, 2014
Facultative program: sightseeing tour by bus in Budapest 9:30 to 11:00
- 12-13 April, 2014.
- Service providers, craftsmen and the tourism representatives of the four Visegrad countries will have the opportunity to introduce themselves
- Local products, crafts, traditional gastronomic supply of the invited countries will be introduced
- 11 April, 2014.
- Cruising tour by night
- Enjoy the beautiful panorama, which is listed as a UNESCO world heritage site!
- live music
- 12 April, 2014.
- Guided sightseeing in the downtown of Budapest by night
- Visit the Jewish Quarter and several famous ruin-pubs in the heart of the city!
- 13 April, 2014.
- Sightseeing by bus in Budapest with guiding in different languages
All participants will receive a KultUnio Card, by which a discount of 5-20% will be available in the stores, restaurants marked with our logo in the downtown of Budapest
- Online registration and further information regarding the conference is available on www.kultunio.hu.
- List of the invited speakers will be available on the website of the conference.
- The official language of the conference is English.
- An electronic resume, containing the extract of all presentations in English will be disseminated among the participants.